Thursday, February 23, 2012

Writing Web Pages

HTML isn't that hard to pick up. In fact, it's probably the easiest thing I've learned in several years. That said, writing web pages can get exhausting if you don't do it right the first time. For example, it took me about a couple hours to write a simple web page, but it took another 3 hours to correct the mistakes that I made on that same page. So, it took me 5 hours to complete something that should have taken 2. I'd like to note that this kind of mistake didn't just occur on one of the web pages; it occurred on all 10 of them. If I averaged it out, that's a loss of 30 hours of productivity. Fudge.

What have I learned? Do it right the first time. That means finding out exactly what the publisher wants me to write and, of course, writing HTML in the correct format, from the beginning. This lesson can be utilized throughout my career in programming, as I begin to utilize Ruby, Ruby on Rails, and other programming languages and methodologies. The less I mess up in the beginning, the less I have to do later. Sounds simple, but there is a lot to learn in the beginning. Putting in that initial work will pay off in the long run, especially if you value sleep.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment